Sunday, January 19, 2014

Working on it...

So I only made it to Yoga twice this last week,
and as expected I am feeling a little lost.
The Barren new job changes also are going to have me spending a lot more
"me time" while he works late and travels again.
 
 So no time like the present to start on my goals for the year...
I took a journey into the BIG city all by my lonesome.
Try as I might I could not find another soul that wanted to journey into the big city with me to see the art fair that was filling two halls in a convention center.
I put on my brave face and drove myself and treated it like a research and development expedition.
I chose comfort over style to dress myself in and my back was glad for it.
Yeah good ol' pair of running shoes!
(i once jogged, but that was a decade ago, but the shoes are still AWESOME)
I spent over three hours wandering up and down the aisles and picking up magazines and cards.
It was interesting to see what galleries were currently carrying and representing.
The first day was apparently crawling with artists, the following three days was movie stars.
The gallery that I have had work in since October, was there and the curator told me she saw
Leo and the Fonz and Mr.mom
(you can figure out who I mean)
hand embroidered designs on deerskin, on a mounted deer!

left side: drawings inside matchbook covers, prints and then paintings
full spectrum of images!
Painting on porcelain and folded clay sculpture of a deer
both were from contemporary Chinese artists

I met this painter, the one of the left has baby birds hatching out of her shoulder
and the ghost cat is about to eat them. AMAZING painter, dark subjects loved it!

 
 There was also work that left me wondering:
gold saxophone made from river rocks

I am not sure, the women that were in charge of the booth
didn't want to be photographed with the work
(this made me giggle)
 
After hours of visual saturation; I left with a mixed sense of awe, inspiration and intimidation
The convention had everyone exit via a jewelry show and when I turned the corner I was arrested by the HUGE amount of SPARKLE!!
Diamonds everywhere!
BIG bright diamonds....
I was glamored but realized that none would be mine so I left....and went home.
none of this is costume jewelry!

I "rewarded" myself for my act of bravery with a stop at a vegan cafe,
and ordered mac and cheeze to take home and eat in my PJ's
It was goooooood, but I was also hungry : )

As I stare and read through the stack of information I collected, I realize that there are MANY
opportunities to submit work. The real work is getting representation, that is on this years goal list again. I would like to get representation this year.

The Barren and I went out to breakfast yesterday and were sat next to a toddler that was singing her own version of "you are my sunshine"...
The Barren looked at me and said he was sorry, I smiled with tears in my eyes and said
It is OK, she is happy: lets take in that level of joy and carry it with us!
It was tough, but I realized that I can make my own level of happiness everyday.
Just like the little mess maker that was sat behind us.

2 comments:

Mali said...

Oh, I love love love this post. You reminded me that one of the things I really miss about travelling regularly is the ability to go to art galleries and museums on my own. My husband doesn't have the same interests in art, certainly, and I always feel rushed with him. So going into a big city on my own (though preferably not driving) to an art exhibition or gallery or museum would be a real treat!

Also, brava to you. This post was a case of "you are my sunshine." And also - you're inspiring me.

Amel said...

I don't know much about art, but I don't mind visiting museums to look at artwork.

Ahhhh...the bit about the toddler makes me feel a bit tender inside. LOVE your spirit: making your own level of happiness everyday. :-)